Upcoming Deadline: August 1, 2015
Tillman’s Village Inn – built c. 1824 as a stagecoach stop along the Ridge Road. Taverns located on this main thoroughfare served as meeting houses where well-established politicians, military personnel, and important citizens would address the local populations. The current Tillman’s building is the original structure pictured here, with additions and changed occurring over the last two centuries.
ABOUT THE ORLEANS COUNTY PIONEER ASSOCIATION
The Pioneer Record pays homage to the pioneer settlers who ventured into the wilderness that was Orleans County. The earliest settler arrived in 1803 and many traveled along the southern shore of Lake Ontario or along the historic Ridge Road. Often call the “Black North,” the region was covered with forests so dense that light could not penetrate the tree tops. Men, women, and children toiled in the vast wilderness, clearing the land and preparing a life and future for themselves.
On June 6, 1859 a notice appeared in the local paper stating, “The early settlers of Orleans County, and all others who feel an interest in our early history, are requested to meet at the Court House in Albion, on Saturday, the twenty-fifth of June inst., at two o’clock p.m., for the purpose of forming a Pioneer Association for Orleans County.”
Article VIII of the Pioneer Association Constitution stated, “The Secretary shall keep a book, to be called the “Pioneer Record,” in which he shall enter this constitution and the proceedings of each meeting of the association, and he shall also keep a register of the names of the several members, the place of their birth, the year they became residents of Western New York, and the time and place of the decease of each member…”
It is in this spirit that the Department of History shall resurrect The Pioneer Record as a way to preserve the continued development and progress of the history of Orleans County.
The Pioneer Record is a publication that provides entertaining and informative articles about the history of Orleans County and the surrounding region. The earliest regular historical publication produced by the Orleans County Department of History came from Cary H. Lattin who wrote the newspaper column “Did You Know?” Arden McAllister carried on the tradition with his own weekly column following Lattin’s retirement and in 1979, with the retirement of McAllister, C. W. Lattin published his own weekly column entitled “Bethinking of Old Orleans.” In recent memory, dual columns were run in papers in both Orleans and Genesee Counties entitled “Vintage Orleans” and “Vanished Orleans” respectively. The Department of History now publishes one column in both papers entitled “Overlooked Orleans” and “Old-Time Orleans.”
As a new publication, The Pioneer Record is produced biannually (Fall and Spring) by the Orleans County Department of History. The journal is strictly published electronically and receives no funding or financial support from the County of Orleans at this time.
The publication seeks regular submissions of articles that seek to increase interest in and knowledge of local history while seeking to place that history in state of national context. Articles should be a minimum of 1,000 words, not to exceed 4,000 words, including headlines, photograph captions, end notes, and necessary credits. Submissions should include a name, address, phone number, and e-mail address.
The Department of History will also accept submissions of annotated documents/records, featured articles (6,000-7,000 words), photographs, unpublished primary materials (journals, diaries, letters, etc.), and genealogy materials (research guides, family histories, etc.). Additional submissions of timely news relating to local historical events will also be accepted.
Articles should be submitted electronically to Matt.Ballard@orleanscountyny.gov as an e-mail attachment. The document should be sent in either a .doc/.docx or .rtf file, 8.5”x11” pages with 1-inch margins on all sides. Please use 12-pt. Times New Roman font for text, notes, and captions. Feel free to include up to five appropriate subheadings throughout the text.
Authors should attempt to follow the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition when possible to ensure proper citation of researched materials. If another style is submitted, the editor will adjust the style to fit the publication’s format. At minimum, each source must contain a title, author, year of publication, publisher name, and publisher location. Page numbers, journal title/article title (when applicable), creator (for photographs), medium (for non-book materials), and place of access (for unpublished materials) should be included whenever possible. Please contact the editor for assistance with the Chicago Manual of Style.
The editor reserves the right to alter the final product to conform to the requirements of the publication, including but not limited to revisions based on format, subject, grammar, spelling, length, and language. Previously submitted or published articles will not be accepted; please do not submit articles that are pending publication, they will not be accepted.
Authors are responsible for obtaining the proper permissions to publish copyrighted materials. You may be asked to submit written proof of permission.
Please submit a biography of fewer than 100 words describing your background, experience, interest in the subject, etc. A photograph is optional.
Authors are encouraged to submit relevant artwork and materials (photographs, drawings, maps, charts, etc.) to accompany the stories. Each image should include a caption and credit line. Please submit all images in .JPG or .TIFF format and include directions within the article to associate the image with its proper location within the article (ex. [Image1.jpg]).
The Orleans County Department of History also has an extensive collection of images that can be utilized if needed.
DEADLINES & PUBLICATION DATES
August 1 – Deadline
September 1 – Publication
February 1 – Deadline
March 1 – Publication