Vol. 1, Issue 5
75 Years Ago – 1942
Caesar, the Great Dane, was released after one year in confinement at Holley. Owned by Edward Coxe, the dog was accused of attacking Bruce Seager three times in 1941. Police Justice Hubert Gillette decided that confinement was an appropriate sentence for the K-9 culprit.
Clara Hogan of Holley received a suspended sentence on charges of embezzling money and making false entries while an employee of the Marine Trust Company.
The Ladies Auxiliary of the St. Mary’s Club elected their officers; Theresa Romanowski, president; Martha Stucko, vice president; Mrs. Anthony Button, recording secretary; Isabel Banas, financial secretary; Clara Friday, treasurer.
100 Years Ago – 1917
The Medina Tribune reported the following; “Albion officers are seeing to it that the laws in that village are being abided by. The owner of the Idle Hour pool room was arrested Saturday night for being open after 11 o’clock and was fined $10.00.”
Notice appeared in the local newspapers regarding acceptable absences from school. Boys claiming to miss school for “agricultural service” cannot use working in stores or taking care of village lawns as grounds for absence.
Orin Seager, a janitor at the Orleans County buildings, was assaulted at 5 o’clock in the evening. It was surmised that the assailant intended to hold up Deputy Treasurer Buell as he left the office in an attempt to raid the county treasury.
The governor signs a bill requiring all couples applying for a marriage license to present a sworn statement stating that they are free from “insidious disease” (illness not showing symptoms).
125 Years Ago – 1892
Two excise boards were formed at Albion, each claiming to be the only legal Board of Excise Commissioners. One board, representing the no-license, temperance movement was headed by Charles Bidleman and Edwin R. Reynolds. The other board, representing the license side, was headed by Joshua Bradshaw and Ashley Blake. The Bidleman-Reynolds board received two applications from druggists, which were both denied, while the Bradshaw-Blake board granted applications as fast as they received them. A warrant was obtained from Justice Kirby for the arrest of Joshua Bradshaw on the charge of exercising the duties of a public officer without having taken the required oath – Bradshaw was arrested and eventually released on $200 bail.
Albion merchants were swindled by a man claiming to be Rev. Mr. Lang of St. John’s Church in Lockport – there was no such church.
The Medina Tribune published a friendly reminder that young men “who are in the habit of indulging in profane language upon the streets and other public places, or applying vile epithets to another person” should remember that such behavior was in direct violation of Chapter 327 of the laws of 1891, which was punishable by a fine of $50 for each offense.
The post office at Shelby Center was broken into by burglars who entered through the rear door. The criminal blew open the safe and removed approximately $100 in cash and a sum of stamps.
150 Years Ago – 1867
Orange Eddy, a native of Barre who was educated at the Albion Academy, is admitted to the bar after studying law with Sanford E. Church and Noah Davis at Albion. He would eventually open a practice in Holley, which he operated until his death on May 13, 1884.
175 Years Ago – 1842
The paper once known as the “Medina Sentinel” and then the “Orleans Sentinel,” operated by John and John H. Denio of Albion since August of 1837, ceased operation.
200 Years Ago – 1817
George E. Mix, born in Greenfield, NY, is brought to Orleans County at the age of one year. He was raised in Barre by his father, Abiathar Mix, spending his earliest days in a cradle made from a sap-trough.
Oliver Benton, of Barre, married Elvira Starr. Benton was appointed to the position of postmaster at the first post office established in the Town of Barre.