Digitized Materials

The Orleans County Department of History has started the process of digitizing some of the older holdings within the collection that would better serve the community if they were available online. Regular updates will be posted to notify the public of new additions.

Census Records

Enumerator’s Blotter (1) – Barre 2nd Election District, Feb. 6, 1892 (Horace A. Washburn)
1892 Enumerator’s Blotter completed by Horace A. Washburn of Barre, NY. This census was taken in the area originally known as “Lee’s Settlement,” now known as Rt. 31A between Eagle Harbor Road and Rt. 98. You will notice the name of Ora Lee in one of the blotters, who lived in the cobblestone home on the north side of Rt. 31A in Barre.

Enumerator’s Blotter (2) – Barre 2nd Election District, Feb. 6, 1892 (Horace A. Washburn)
1892 Enumerator’s Blotter completed by Horace A. Washburn of Barre, NY. This census was taken in the area originally known as “Lee’s Settlement,” now known as Rt. 31A between Eagle Harbor Road and Rt. 98. You will notice the name of Ora Lee in one of the blotters, who lived in the cobblestone home on the north side of Rt. 31A in Barre.

County Poor House Records

Insane Asylum Accounts to be Paid by Orleans County, 1888-1893
Accounts paid by Orleans County to other asylums throughout New York for the care of county residents. e.g. Charles Brace of Holley was admitted to the Buffalo State Asylum by his father, Andrew, who appears in the account book. In January of 1890 Charles was deemed mentally ill and a safety risk to himself and those around him. In another case, Ann Ryan was deemed insane by Ridgeway Justice of the Peace John W. Graves, who also appears in the ledger. She was sent to Ovid’s asylum.

Local Books

History of the Log Cabin – c. 1888
This title contains information pertaining to the first museum established in Orleans County. Upon its closure, loaned items were returned to their rightful owner and donated items were sent to the “Rochester Museum.” Note, item number 90, a bear trap loaned by George Batchellor is currently part of the Cobblestone Museum’s collection in Farmer’s Hall and represents the only item from the Log Cabin Museum that remains in the Orleans County public domain today.

School Records

Albion High School Alumni Association – Minutes, 1912-1943
This ledger contains the minutes of the Albion High School Alumni Association starting with the annual banquet in 1912 and following up into 1943. The association has existed in several forms over the last 100+ years, including the Albion Academy Alumni Association pre-1900 and the current Alumni Foundation incorporated in 1988.

Loveland School – Albion District No. 6: Trustee Minutes, 1831-1911
This ledger contains the minutes of Albion’s District No. 6 annual and special meetings. District No. 6 was located near the intersection of Rt. 31 and Gaines Basin Road on the northeast corner. The cobblestone schoolhouse that once stood on that lot has since been removed. This is the school district Charles Howard attended as a young man and his father’s name and the names of his mother’s ancestors, including Artemus Loveland, appear in this ledger.